Justice Served in Star Bucks Beating Case, and the Beating is Our Fault.
The three teens accused of the beating of Sean Conroy, which let to a fatal asthma attack were all found guilty of either third degree murder or involuntary manslaughter. I am all for having the punishment fit the crime, however this statement made by the Assistant D.A really made me see how the actions of 10% of a population, reflects poorly on the other 90%
In closing arguments, Coelho had told jurors the three defendants’ “street cred was more important than a human life,” and that they “left their character on the concourse” of the subway station at 13th and Market Streets.
I don’t think this was a matter of “street cred”. I believe they just had total disregard for another person’s well being. …HUGE difference. Street cred places the blame on the people they live next to, go to school with, and live with. I also think they used the term street credibility because they are black. That blames an entire race for the10% of the population doing the crimes we see in the paper.
If my neighbor beats up his wife, that does not mean I think its alright for him to do so.
This has a negative impact to people from rough areas. I grew up in a rough area and would never look highly upon someone that beat a man to death. Sadly, when situations are publicized in the news, people of a darker complexion always come off as collectively not knowing any better. This translates over to the work place as well. Regardless of how many other times some one of another race is wrong in an altercation involving a black person, the black person’s character is often criticized and questioned immediately…
Let individuals take the blame for their actions, not people the criminal walked past to get to the scene of the crime.